Agricultural Services Board


Every rural municipality in Alberta has an appointed Agricultural Service Board (ASB); the primary function of the ASB is to assist producers in achieving sustainable agricultural production and consider environmental and social issues related to agriculture. Cardston County's ASB strives to promote, protect, enhance, and support agriculture and the natural landscape to make Cardston County a thriving place to live.


The Cardston County Agricultural Service Board, together with the agricultural community, will continue to develop and deliver programs that: maintain and improve water quality and the watershed value of our rivers, reduce the risk of pests to agriculture, protect the County from new invasive weed species, maintain control of existing infestations, assist provincial and federal agencies as needed for disease control and monitoring, continue to provide quality rental equipment that meets the unique needs of our agricultural producers, and advise County Council on agrarian issues.

Agriculture Services Board Contact Information
Councillor Roger Houghton - ASB Chairman
Email   (403) 634-7281

Rod Foggin - Agricultural Fieldman
Email     (403) 382-8236

Stephen Bevans - Assistant Fieldman
Email     (403) 634-9474

ASB Rentals and Chemical:    (403) 795-2594

Agriculture Equipment Rentals
Cardston County's Agricultural Services Board provides a number of equipment rentals to our local producers. We provide rental equipment to assist our local producers with soil conservation, pest control, and weed control. You can get in touch with our Agricultural Fieldman for more information.

Custom Weed Spraying

Cardston County offers a weed spraying program to help combat the spread of weeds through our province. Weeds are a serious threat to our region's environmental and economic health. Weeds destroy our grazing land and reduce the productivity of our agricultural land.

Cardston County's Agricultural Fieldman will conduct a site inspection to determine the priority of the area and provide an estimated cost for weed spraying. Depending on the condition and the cost to you, our agricultural services staff will spray the site using the most appropriate delivery method.

Our weed spraying program operates on a cost-recovery basis, meaning you will be responsible for the costs of herbicide and employee travel and time. There will be a minimum charge of $100. You can get in touch with our agricultural fieldman for more information.

The Real Dirt on Farming

The Real Dirt on Farming is designed to connect you with the food you eat, and introduce you to some of Canada's farm families. This booklet provides basic facts on topics such as the difference between growing crops conventionally and organically, pesticide use, animal housing and animal welfare, environmental sustainability, technology used in farming as well as many other subjects that you have indicated are important to you. The goal of this book is to help you make informed decisions about the food you're serving your family.

Invasive Plants

Invasive plants were often deliberately cultivated by people but 'escaped' to grow elsewhere, uncontrolled. While some weeds can be harmless and even chosen to be decorative in homes and gardens, some weeds can harm the environment in a number of ways. For instance, when an invasive soil species take over, one type of root system will dominate, which may lead to soil erosion. Even if the invasives are removed, this problem can put local water resources at risk due to increased runoff. Another problem with invasive plants is that natural wildlife depends on native plant life for food. When a foreign species of plant takes over, it has the potential to decrease suitable wildlife habitat. To learn more about specific types of invasive plants, please click the link below.

Cardston County's Agricultural Service Board strives to provide timely, efficient and cost effective weed control services to help protect agricultural production and Native landscapes within Cardston County. For assistance in identification or for purchases, rentals, and recommendations regarding control of invasive pests please contact the Agricultural Fieldman, Rod Foggin, at (403) 653-4977.

For more information on the Alberta Invasive Plants Council, and information on identifying invasive plants, please click here. There are two categories of weeds that citizens should be aware of:

  1. Noxious Weeds have to be controlled by the landowner or by the person who occupies the land. Some weeds include Dames Rocket, Baby's Breath, Leafy Spurge, Blue Weed, 
  2. Prohibited Noxious Weeds have to be destroyed by the landowner or by the person who occupies the land. Some weeds include Spotted Knapweed, Hawkweeds, and Nodding Thistle. 


Clubroot, or Plasmodiophora brassicae is a serious disease of cruciferous crops including mustard, broccoli, cabbage and most importantly canola and is found throughout the world, including Alberta. Clubroot is a declared pest under the Alberta Agricultural Pests Act.

What is Clubroot? It is a protist (an organism with plant, animal and fungal characteristics). It is a serious problem because it spreads through soil and is long lived (up to 20 years) in the warm, moist, acidic soils common in Alberta. The disease causes the root cells to swell creating galls which tie up nutrients and moisture. Infested soil on farm/industrial equipment, and by soil eroded by wind and water are methods by which Clubroot spreads. Infection of 100% will reduce crop yields by 50%.

Early signs of infestation in the seedling stage are wilting, stunting, and yellowing; in later stages, plants may ripen prematurely. Using long crop rotations (4-year cycle), practicing sanitation methods on equipment, reduced tillage and direct seeding, field scouting, and avoiding using straw and manure from unknown sources and untreated seed can help prevent the occurrence of Clubroot.

No registered fungicides or crop-resistant varieties are available in Canada to manage this pest. Using long crop rotations with cruciferous crops is the only strategy for producers to manage Clubroot. Here is the Alberta Agriculture Clubroot Management Plan.

Agricultural Operations Practises Act (AOPA)

The purpose of this guide is to provide agricultural operations in Alberta with information on:

  • How the AOPA applies to various agricultural operations that handle manure.
  • The requirements and regulations under AOPA that deals with siting; manure storage, collection and application; feeding and bedding sites; livestock corrals; soil testing and analysis; and record keeping.
  • The issues related to ongoing compliance and enforcement.
For information on the above listed items and for a complete view of the AOPA, please visit this website.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada

Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada presents useful information pertaining to Canada's agricultural industry including notes on livestock, crop profiles, planning and building farm shelterbelts and other important items.

Please visit Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada if you would like additional information.

Haying Permits

Applications for haying a municipal right of way will be accepted until May 31, with priority given to adjacent landowners. In order to receive a permit, an Access and Work Agreement must be signed and all conditions met.

You must have Comprehensive or Commercial General Liability Insurance in an amount not less than two million ($2,000,000) dollars per occurrence against bodily injury, personal injury, and property damage and completed operations liability. The applicant must cut all areas listed for haying on the access and work agreement in a manner that creates no hazard to traffic. Bales must not be left on the edge of the road or in an area that will block drainage. Any cost incurred by Cardston County to enforce these conditions may be charged back to the applicant. Contact the County Office at (403) 653-4977 for more info.

Useful Links