Permits and Forms

Address Changes

In order to keep our municipal records consistent with those officially filed at the Government of Alberta's Land Titles Office, residents looking to change or update their address with the County will now have to make those changes through the Land Titles Office.

We will no longer be making address changes without receiving the changes officially through the Land Titles Office. You can find the Notice of Change of Address form here.

Burn Permits

Cardston County residents wishing to conduct an open fire must acquire a fire permit before proceeding with the burn. You can contact our shop at (403) 653-3712 between hours of 8:00am to 5:00pm to obtain a fire permit.

The fire permitting system was established so our fire departments can keep track of open fires and so we know which open fires are controlled burns and which could be wildfires. Residents who proceed with an open fire without first acquiring a permit will be responsible for the costs of our fire departments responding to the burn.

Development Permits

Cardston County would like to remind residents that development permits are required for any new development. You can pick up a development permit application from our office or print one off from our website. We encourage residents to contact our Director of Planning Services at (403) 653-4977 prior to submitting a development permit application to ensure that the proposed development complies with our Land Use Bylaw and that any necessary information has been provided.

We had to raise development permit application fees in 2016 to cover the administrative costs of processing applications. Fees for Permitted Use applications will now be $100 and fees for Discretionary Use applications will now be $200. Even with the increases, Cardston County’s development permit application fees are equivalent to our neighbouring municipalities.

Subdivision Applications

The Oldman River Regional Services Commission is the subdivision agent for 38 municipalities in southern Alberta, including Cardston County. ORRSC provides a number of services to its member municipalities related to subdivision including: reviewing and screening applications, processing applications, formulating recommendations and endorsing subdivision finalizations.

You can learn more about the subdivision process on the ORRSC website.

Business Licenses

All business operating within Cardston County must obtain a business license. To obtain a business license, download our Business License Form. After filling out the form and ensuring all information is complete and correct, forms can either be brought to the County Office or mailed, faxed or emailed to us.

For County residents, there is a compulsory fee of $25.00. If you would like a regional business license, there is an additional fee of $80.00. Once your business license request is processed at the office, they will be mailed or they can be picked up at the County Office.

Cardston County and both the Town of Cardston and the Town of Magrath have an agreement in place to honour each other's business licenses. This allows our residents in the County to provide their services to the residents of the Town of Cardston and Magrath without having to purchase an additional Town license.

Council Presentations and Community Donations

If you would like to make a presentation to Council or appear as a delegation at one of our Council Meetings, please complete the Council Presentation Form and submit it to us by email, fax, or in person. We will try to schedule your presentation during the next Council Meeting.

If you would like request a donation from Cardston County for your community organization or event, please read our Community Donations Policy and complete the Donation Request Form and submit it to us by email, fax, or in person.

Permit and Form Downloads

 Form Title  Action
Business License Application Download
Dust Control Application 2017 Download
Land Titles Office Change of Address Form Download
Snow Removal / Road Maintenance Agreement Download
Road Allowance Closure Application Download
Assessment Complaints Agent Authorization Form Download
Assessment Complaints Pamphlet Download
Cardston County Assessment Complaint Form Download
Development Permit Application Download
Rural Subdivision Application Form Download
Rural Subdivision Application Package Download
Land Use Bylaw Amendment Application Download
Community Donation Request Form Download
Council Delegation / Presentation Form Download
Cemetery Plot Application Download

Schedule of Fees